The Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (PDPA) was passed in Parliament in 2012 and consists of the following segments:
- Do Not Call Provisions (DNC)
- Personal Data Protection Provisions (PDP)
Visit the Singapore Personal Data Protection Commission’s website to find out more about the PDPA.
Do Not Call Provisions (DNC)
Furen International School (“FIS”) will adhere to the DNC Provisions for telemarketing of our courses to both existing and prospective students. All telemarketing messages (such as voice calls, text messages and fax messages) will only be sent to individuals who have not registered their Singapore telephone numbers with the DNC Register and individuals who have given consent to FIS to send them telemarketing messages at their listed Singapore telephone numbers.
You may register your Singapore telephone number(s) on the relevant DNC Register(s) and/or withdraw your consent given to FIS for the receipt of telemarketing messages via voice calls, text messages and/or fax messages. Those who would like to withdraw their consent given to FIS for the receipt of telemarketing messages are required to submit an e-mail request to our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com. Upon receipt of your consent withdrawal request, FIS will cease to send telemarketing messages to you at the indicated number after 21 working days from the date of receipt.
Personal Data Protection Provisions (PDP)
The personal data which we collect from you may be used and/or disclosed for the following purposes:
- Evaluating your application to be a student with us;
- Administering and managing your relationship as our student, including but not limited to airport meeting reception, accommodation, Student’s Pass application, insurance, orientation, counselling, scholarships, awards, achievements and certification;
- Assessing, monitoring and reporting on your performance, attendance and disciplinary records;
- Disclosing your data to your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) upon their request;
- Planning and organising of student activities which may be provided by us to enhance and enrich your life as a student with us, encourage holistic development, and to assist you in planning and preparing for your life after graduation;
- Sharing your information with your previous education institute(s);
- Administering and processing your post-graduation applications to local and overseas tertiary institutes;
- If consented by you in the acknowledgement letter and/or other methods of consent notification, for promotional purposes, including but not limited to school prospectus, website, magazine and advertisements;
- Maintaining your relationship as our alumni, including but not limited to notification on FIS and alumni related initiatives and activities, invitation to FIS and alumni related events, updating of alumni information, invitation to participate in alumni surveys, and providing you with FIS publications meant for alumni;
- Evaluating your application to be an FIS staff;
- Administering and managing your relationship as our staff, including but not limited to provision of IT services, local and overseas career related activities, events, programmes and employment opportunities, career coaching, and secondments with third party organisations;
- Dealing with and/or administering employment benefits and other staff welfare programmes;
- Contacting or communicating with you for the purposes of administering and managing your relationship with us;
- Carrying out your instructions or responding to enquiries given by you or someone on your behalf;
- Complying with our internal policies and processes/procedures, and responding to any request or direction of any governmental authority, public agencies, hospitals, embassies, ministries, statutory boards or other similar authorities.
- Preventing, detecting and investigating crime, offences or breaches including that related to the security of our premises (including but not limited to the use of security cameras);
- Conducting checks with the DO NOT CALL (“DNC”) Registry;
- Any other purposes which we may inform you in writing when required and will seek your separate consent.
Disclosure of Personal Data to Third Parties
In order to conduct our operations more smoothly, we may disclose your personal data to third party service providers, agents and/or our affiliates or related corporations, which may be sited outside of Singapore, for one or more of the above-stated purposes on our behalf. When doing so, we will require them to ensure that all personal data disclosed to them is kept confidential and secure.
Withdrawal of Consent for the Collection, Use and/or Disclosure of Personal Data
You may e-mail our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org to withdraw your consent. To facilitate the process, the subject header of the e-mail is to be titled ‘Notice of Withdrawal of Consent ‘ and kindly include your name (as it appears on your NRIC / Passport) and your NRIC / FIN / Passport Number.
Depending on the nature of the withdrawal, it may adversely impact your relationship with us. In the most extreme of cases, we may not be in a position to administer any existing contractual relationship, in which case we reserve the right to terminate the relationship with you. You will be notified of any consequences from your withdrawal of consent within 7 working days from the date of your notice. We will also seek your confirmation on your withdrawal of consent and inform you of the administrative follow-ups (if any).
We will cease the collection, usage or disclosure of your personal data (and inform our data intermediaries if applicable) within 21 working days from the date of receipt of your e-mail confirmation.
FIS Student Activities
The staff(s)-in-charge of each student activity and the FIS Student Union are to strictly adhere to the following:
- Be accountable and responsible for the management of all personal data in their possession / under their charge.
- Obtain consent from the students prior to the collection, use and disclosure of their personal data.
- Not allowed to send telemarketing messages (through Singapore telephone numbers) via voice calls, text messages or fax messages.
If you have any questions regarding this policy or in relation to how FIS manages, protects and/or processes your personal data, please do not hesitate to contact our Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) at email@example.com